Performance Analysis of RTX Architecture in Virtual Production and Graphics Processing
Real-time rendering techniques developed for computer games combined with the improved algorithms and advanced hardware such as the Nvidia Geforce RTX 3000 series of graphic cards improve the quality of the rendered images in CGI. In this paper, our goal is to test the performance of RTX architecture in Virtual Production and graphics processing. We conducted a series of tests for rendering of a scene in Unreal game engine in a Virtual Production studio. Images are rendered in 4K and output to a network distribution system where the image is broken down into a series of smaller images each rendered onto LED screens. The comparison of render times between two graphics workstations using Nvidia RTX A6000 GPU and Nvidia RTX A3090 GPU show that whilst RTX architecture produces better image quality, the gains might not be worth the additional hardware cost required by the high-end graphic cards. It might also be optimal to split the rendering of the scene across multiple computers.
Oakden, T., & Kavakli, M. (2022). Performance analysis of RTX architecture in virtual production and graphics processing. In (no eds.), 2022 IEEE 42nd International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops (ICDCSW) (pp 215–220). IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICDCSW56584.2022.00048. Best Paper Award.
- Manolya Kavakli, and Cinzia Cremona, C., 2022: The Virtual Production Studio Concept – A Game Changer in Filmmaking, IEEE VR 2022: the 29th IEEE Conference on Virtual Reality and 3D User Interfaces, 12-16 March, 2022, Virtual, p.1-10
- Jeffrey A. Okun and Susan Zwerman, 2021. The VES Handbook of Visual Effects, 3rd Edition, Taylor and Francis, London
- Tony Oakden and Kavakli, Manolya , 2022: Graphics Processing in Virtual Production, 14th International Conference on Computer and Automation Engineering (ICCAE 2022) March 25-27, 2022 Brisbane, Australia, 1-6
- NVIDIA, 2021a. GEFORCE RTX 3080 FAMILY THE ULTIMATE PLAY, last accessed on 29 Oct 2021, https://www.nvidia.com/enau/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3080-3080ti/
- NVIDIA, 2021b. NVIDIA RTX™ platform, last accessed on 29 Oct 2021, https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx
- Unreal, 2021. Storytelling reimagined, last accessed on 29 Oct 2021, https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/solutions/film-television
- a6000-datasheet-us-nvidia, 2022. Retrieved from Nvidia.com: https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/en-zz/Solutions/designvisualization/quadro-product-literature/proviz-print-nvidia-rtx-a6000-datasheet-us-nvidia-1454980-r9-web%20(1).pdf
- Branko Gapo, 2021. NVLink vs. SLI and Multiple GPUs – Is it worth it? Retrieved from CGdirector: https://www.gpumag.com/nvlink-slidifference/
- Tessera SX40, 2022. https://www.bromptontech.com/product/sx40/
- Brompton Tessera XD, 2022. https://www.bromptontech.com/product/xd/S.
- Manolya Kavakli, 2022: Requirements for reducing the input lag in a Virtual Production Studio, HCI INTERNATIONAL 2022, 24TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON HUMAN COMPUTER INTERACTION, 26 June – 1 July 2022, Gothenburg, Sweden
- Sevan Dalkian, 2019. “nDisplay Technology Whitepaper,” Epic Games, https://cdn2.unrealengine.com/Unreal+Engine%2Fndisplaywhitepaper-final-updates%2FnDisplay_Whitepaper_FINALf87f7ae569861e42d965e4bffd1ee412ab49b238.pdf.
- Chaos, 2022. Retrieved from https://www.chaos.com/
- Juha Sjoholm, 2018. Effectively Integrating RTX Ray Tracing into a Real-Time Rendering Engine. Retrieved from nvidia developer Blog: https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/effectively-integrating-rtx-raytracing-real-time-rendering-engine/
- Alex Dunn and Louis Bavoil, 2014. Transparency (or Translucency) Rendering. Retrieved from Nvidia Developer Blog: https://developer.nvidia.com/content/transparency-or-translucencyrendering
- Epic. 2022. nDisplay Overview. Retrieved from https://docs.unrealengine.com/: https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/enUS/WorkingWithMedia/IntegratingMedia/nDisplay/Overview/
- GPU Benchmarks Ranking (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpuhierarchy,4388.html)
- “NVIDIA TURING GPU ARCHITECTURE: Graphics Reinvented” (PDF). Nvidia. 2018. Retrieved June 28, 2019.
- Florian Maislinger . “Faulty RTX 2080 Ti: Nvidia switches from Micron to Samsung for GDDR6 memory”. PC Builder’s Club. Retrieved July 15, 2019.